Thursday, February 18, 2010

Memphis, TN

On the road again. After spending 8 wonderful days in Knoxville, I decided I need to start driving again. Got lunch with a friend in the New York City of the South. Then hit my new favorite Interstate- I-40W. My driving schedule is marked by breaks to use the bathroom (here I stopped to use the facilities at the Johnny Cash rest area) or to fill up my tank with some gasoline. I am almost to Memphis (the GPS was telling me less than an hour) and Elizabeth was warning me of the speed trap right outside Memphis, when I came upon this sight.
All the trucks were in the left lane and basically the entire right lane was wide open. I thought it was some type of trick because in NY, everyone stays in the open lane until the last possible second.
Open road!!! The only reason I moved left was due to the police presence.
Lo and behold- a semi who had spilled its wares on the highway. Pretty freaky stuff.
I tried to get more pics but the cops were waving me along. So my plan was to stay for a night in Nashville and then drive to Tulsa, OK. Kfish told me that's a really long drive and I have a really good friend who lives in Memphis and she would love some company. Hence how it came to be that I stayed with Maggie. Maggie is also going to be in Kfish's wedding so we would have met at some point before the wedding but I am awfully glad that I got to hang out with Maggie in Memphis. Here are some highlights from our night.
From left to right- Maggie, Oscar, Me, Jorge and Juan at Rio Loco (? if this is not the place please correct me) Since I was the out of towner, I got the biggest and best sombrero. Our picture was taken by a really cool guy except for the fact that he was wearing a Yankees hat!
Here we are at the Silly Goose with our new bartender friend Jason- who was wearing True Religion jeans and flip flops. So awesome.
Here's Maggie checking out the scene at the Flying Saucer. We didn't go in because we had other places to check out.
Like the Lamplighter. Ok so we didn't go into the Lamplighter because when we opened the door, no one was in there. I really enjoy this picture because of the huge American flag in the picture with me.
Ahhh my place for the sleep. Thanks Maggie for showing me around Memphis. I had a great time and definitely want to come back for a longer period of time. One night does not do that city justice. Wednesday morning I woke up and thought that I had left my keys in Maggie's car the night before but crisis averted, the keys were on the table. Now off to Tulsa, OK.

2 comments:

  1. Lovin the sombrero!!! Looks like you had fun in Memphis - can't wait to see the pics from OK!!

    ReplyDelete